From:
welford heather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:27:07 +0200
On 27 June 2013 18:06, Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So Heather:
>
> The policy makers in the UK always seem to think that babies in the UK
> don't grow like the rest of the world and object to standardized charts.

Susan, not sure where you have got that from! Our charts are *identical* to
the WHO charts, but they are presented in a very slightly different way,
with the 50th centile line unemphasised, that's all :) I think we may have
used UK specific typefaces or something as well....!

I am pleased to say our policy makers welcomed the WHO charts and (in time)
ditched the previous charts, based on data from the 'UK90' dataset which
had some well-known limitations and drawbacks. UK babies have been measured
with what we call UK/WHO charts since 2009 (2010 in Scotland).

>  A lot of very careful measurement and statistics went into determining
> appropriate standards even in the first two weeks

Maybe so - I was reflecting what we have been told, that the data used to
produce the charts does not include data from babies aged 0-2 weeks. That's
all.

Babies who gain slowly compared to their peers need careful assessing - no
doubt about that. My point only referred to Karleen's question of the
Neifert 'cut off' for 'lactational insufficiency' defined as gaining less
than 200g between ages 2 weeks and 4 weeks, and her later calculations from
babies up to 23 days. .

There are several reasons why a baby may gain less weight than this between
2 weeks and 4 weeks, and lactational insufficiency is only one of them,
anyway!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK