Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:32:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I, too, have been following this, because I've worked with two women in the past 2 years with persistent low milk supply with no markers for IGT, who took it (good amount of breast growth during pregnancy, definite increase in abundance of milk at day 2-3 ppm and definite sensation of breast fullness at the beginning). 

This is the study that is always quoted: http://placentamom.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/8/3/2483180/placenta_lactagogon.pdf

According to this study, the mothers were to take the nebulae as soon as possible and over the course of no more than two days. The women they were studying either had had difficulty with milk supply previously or it was anticipated due to their anatomy, pointing toward IGT. This study did show a positive effect in a large number of the women - 86 out of 210.. 

And, I think this may be where the difference lays in the women I have seen who have taken it and the study controls.

The women in the study would have had a huge surge of the HCG and other hormones which are in the placenta.. and then a drop..which would, theoretically work like the drop in progesterone when women deliver the placenta.. could that not stimulate new prolactin receptors forming? 

The women I have worked with took a small amount daily over a long period of time. If the placenta is high in HCG which is produced only in pregnancy and which stimulates the production of estrogen and progesterone, it may be like taking a birth control pill every day..telling the body to shut down milk production because of perceived pregnancy. For some women, the other factors in placenta may regulate this, but for others, who are highly sensitive to any hormonal changes, this may be the death knoll for milk supply.

I can see that eating the placenta, or getting it down however it works, in the early ppm period for many women may be very beneficial. I remembering craving my placenta after my third baby's birth and subsequent heavy blood loss.

I do wonder if the method and delivery are at fault, not the actual practice and this is worth researching much more. It would certainly be wise to document the methodology used when women we encounter are suffering low milk supply when taking their encapsulated placentas and see if there is a link. And it raises the question: Could there be a chance that giving progesterone, infrequently in a large dose, to a woman with low milk supply be beneficial? Has anyone tried it?

Well, my mind has been busy today!

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2