From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:05:09 -0700
Morgan writes:
<<This  mother is not only taking charge on her own terms, she's resisting their
power when they object.  She isn't a patient in their eyes - the baby
is.  She's a visitor, and a visitor that's flashing her breasts in front
of them.  They do not like that they can't control this action, and take
charge of her body.  So they complain that they are having an unwelcome
sight inflicted upon them. >>

Bingo!

I don't work in a hospital setting.  I see women in the aftermath of birth.  Frequently I hear mothers' stories that resonate with this same attitude.

Attitude may be the biggest barrier to breastfeeding -- on all sides.  This is such a story of power.  It is the politics that first drew me to advocate for breastfeeding. and I still see breastfeeding
 as the ultimate feminist issue.

Thanks, Morgan. for your insight.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA