From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:52:59 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/02 6:10:55 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Exactly!  The vacuum extracted baby acts like it has a Headache!
Sincerely,

Plus, just think what the extractor does to the mandible bone, it pulls it
back and when the mandible is pulled back, the tongue is pulled back and the
suck is very disorganized for a while, besides the headache!  We have a
hospital here that uses the extractor almost routinely.  One of my first
questions to clients who call for a home visit is, "Where was your baby born,
how was the birth and were there many interventions used?"  The more
interventions; long exposure to an epidural, pitocin, vacuum and forceps, the
longer the time it will take for a baby to settle into a good bfing routine.
Often times I see very cracked nipples and swollen areola, a little suck
training and a nipple shield (yes, I use them as needed) go a long way.  I
sometimes recommend some finger feeds with a curved tip syringe with gentle
downward pressure, from the finger, on the tongue.  I always recommend
avoiding the sore spot (sometimes it IS the crown) on the baby.  Time seems
to be the greatest healer for these mom/baby pairs, sometimes it is a full 14
days.  Often times I gauge the healing time by how much the mom's postpartum
edema has subsided.  If, at day 3, her ankles and feet are huge, I assume her
breasts and areola have edema from fluid too and not all milk, and treat
accordingly.
Being in private practice, I see these moms AFTER their stay at the hospital.
 Some of the after-effects of the birth procedures haven't even manifested at
discharge.  I truly think if the ob's were aware of the mess we and the
families are left to deal with, they would be a little more cautious. For
first time parents this can all be very UN-empowering, scary and frustrating
and the bottle and ABM can seem like a quick solution.  14 days can be a very
long time.  I see some of these families on a daily basis (home visits) and
will do whatever it takes to help them.  If I can help get them thru the
first 14 days, for the most part they are breastfeeders!  Other moms have
very few problems and give it up easily and early.  These cases are more
discouraging than the hard ones.
Sorry, if this is too long, I guess I needed to put in 4cents worth!!
Annie VerSteeg  IBCLC
Beach Area Breastfeeding
breastfeeding... It's for life