From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:56:51 -0600
>Susan R Potts wrote:
>
>I'm posting yet another article on soy and it's possible negative effects
>because I received numerous emails (some queries, some positive, and some
>bit hostile regarding my suggestion that soy was not an appropriate
>substitute for human milk).  There are many more, but I'll contain
>myself.
>For those interested in this topic, I highly encourage that you go to the
>original articles.  They are full of interesting info.

For Susan and anyone else interested in soy consumption during infancy, I'd
suggest checking the web site for the Study of Estrogen Activity and
Development at <http://www.codares.com/sead/>. That study is specifically
looking at hormone-specific endpoints among infants who are breastfed, cow
milk formula-fed, or soy formula-fed. No results yet, though I think
they've begun the first phase of it.

I only knew about this study because I wrote about it and related research
for Environmental Health Perspectives
<http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2002/110-6/niehsnews.html>.
Interestingly, Dr. Setchell (cited by Susan and virtually everyone else
with an interest in this field of research) said that he believes that if
there are any effects from phytoestrogens in soy formula, they're likely to
be subtle but beneficial. He wasn't implying that's a reason to use it, by
the way; he was very clear that breastfeeding is best.

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett
Freelance Science Writer