From:
Rachael Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 14:11:40 +1000
Dear Lara,

Thankyou for sharing this link. It is indeed very disappointing that
women seems to be subjected to 'subliminal' messaging from formula
companies. I do question though the worthiness of balancing this
information (since we cannot stop it) with informational based books
on the differences between breast and formula and the short and long
term maternal and neonatal risks associated with it's use, that are
given out upon the hospital booking visit.

What I have seen recently on parenting sites, is nothing short of
disgraceful. With so many women turing to online medias for support,
there seems to be a real trend to "supporting formula feeding
mothers". I agree non breastfeeding mothers also require support and
nourishment, but on some of these sites (and IBCLC's who advocate
formula are supposably on these sites also) information being passed
off as fact for research that infant formula is but an equal choice to
breastmilk. There is a real belief that formula is not associated with
any of the health problems that high quality research has
demonstrated. I in fact was 'barred' from stating that I believe there
was a link between my coeliac disease and consequently dairy milk
allergy and my brothers autism with having been breastfed only 6
months with early solids and formula/ cows milk fed thereafter. Have
formula companies infiltrated so deep that women really believe this?

I am for women making informed choices, but putting ones head in the
sand (as I've seen on these sites) is a clear indication that we are
not meeting the educational needs of women when they are most
susceptible to learning, during pregnancy.

Wasn't this fellow very bold for making such a clear statement about
infant formula advertising! I thought they would be keeping these
'secrets'.

Blessings,
Rachael Austin
RN RM C&FHN IBCLC Adv. CBE
Author of "Feeding Baby: A Definitive Guide to the Science and Wisdom
of Infant Feeding Choices"

Asia-Pacific Regional Representative
International MotherBaby Childbirth Organization