From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 00:31:32 -0700
Hi,
Alicia wrote:

 I don't, however, agree with the contention that she must
have a history of bf and prolonged bf in order to be effective.

I agree with you, Alicia.  I know of a couple of lactation greats who do not
have kids,  aren't women and (obviously) have not BF.  If I remember my post
correctly (tossed it, so can't reread what I wrote) I was focusing on this
particular person Ruth was talking about. That's is what I meant to do,
anyhow.  What I hate to see is someone who so casually weans, then goes on
to say how they want to be an LC, blah blah, and wants to take a quicky
course, etc.

I must say, that lately, I have really been rather cynical about BF
attitudes around me.  And I can tell that it is showing in my posts.
Several have made comments about my comments to bottle feeding moms being
negative and how that isn't a good idea, the "you'll get more folks to
listen if you are nice" kind of thing.
I'll try to make this my last post on the subject.  THose who know me well,
know that I am never rude to anyone re: any choice that that person makes
re: their lifestyle.  In fact, last night I counseled a mom going thru Hell
with BF that if she feels the need to quit trying to BF her baby (LOTS of
probs) that she needs to do what makes her happy and what will keep her
relationship with her baby healthy.  And if she does quit, that she is not
"giving up" or "failing", that in fact she has gone above and beyond the
call to try and get this kid to BF.  Quite frankly, if I had to go thru the
Hell I went thru with my 2nd son (to BF) again in order to BF my 3rd, I
don't know if I would do it again.  I really don't know if I would have the
strength to go thru that a 2nd time.

SOmeone else (sorry, don't remember who) questioned the "blindly following
propaganda" comment I made.  My point with that comment was to say that
"we", in general, believe everything we see on the boob tube to be fact.  If
the news says that some study was done and in order to stave off cancer of
the eye we need to eat 4 carrots a day, then you can bet "we" are going to
go out and get those carrots.  Now, there will be the folks who will say
"wait a minute, this doesn't make sense, let's do some research".  And they
will find that it realaly is a bunch of hooey.  But, let's face the sad
truth.  "We" are too busy to do the needed research to find out just how
harmful formula (and other things we do) is.  The formula companies tell us
that it is safe, almost like mother's milk, gentle on baby's digestive
system, etc etc, and we believe it because no one would deliberately set out
to harm babies and lie to the public about this baby food.  Heck, I believed
it when I was trying to BF my 2nd son. (and as a result of having this
formula, he is now extremely sensitive to dairy)  Remember how shocked the
public was when it was "discovered" that a certain baby food co. was calling
sugar water apple juice?

I am tired of "walking on eggshells".  I am tired of being "politically
correct" all the time.  I am tired of having to prove that BF is the best
and that it is not harmful, and that babies NEED breastmilk in order to grow
and develop tp their full potential.  I am tired of having to find proof
that it is OK to BF rather than have the Dr find proof that is is NOT ok to
BF because of some "thing" that they want mom to wean for.  Plain and
simple, I am tired.  It is long past time for people to realize that they
have harmed their babies, not thru any real fault of their own, but because
they have been lied to by the "establishment", not given the information
with which to make an informed choice, and led to believe that everything
you see on TV is true.

Don't worry, folks.  I will still be "politically correct" with those on the
"outside".  I know that getting "radical" will do nothing but set us back
and make me look like a "cult" member.  :/  I just think it is sad that I
have to remind my mother and other family members and friends that
breastfeeding is NOT a lifestyle choice, it is a health issue, and that AIM
and breastmilk are not the same thing.  Whenever I talk to a mom who tells
me that she BF for the first 6wks (or longer, or shorter) but then quit for
whatever reason, I praise her for giving her baby a great start.  I say that
she gave her baby a better start than a lot of moms who don't even bother to
try.
Ok, off my box.
jay
Jay Simpson, CLE