Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 06:41:01 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In addition to all the other suggestions and education about what is normal, i think the first thing a mom neds in this type of situation is reassurance.  AnytimeI see a mom worried about what one breast is or is not doing or when baby is having some kind of challenge with one breast, I first tell her the bottom line is that it is always possible to nurse on just one side.  I tell her I am sure we can work through whatever the current situation is (unless she has some very obvious problem like a unilateral mastectomy!), but even if we can't she can still nurse on the other.  I find that often helps her relax and then whatever else we talk about or try will sink in more readily. She will then be more likely to hear that what she is experiencing or follow up on whatever plan we come up with.
I find that whatever the situation, it is very helpful to figure out what her biggest underlying concern is and address that first, even if (or especially when) we don't feel that concern is relevant to the current condition. Iif we don't, she just won't be able to hear anything else we say.  A typical example is the mom we may be able to see only briefly after she delivers.  Our main concern is to be sure she learns what is normal, how to be sure baby in nursing effectively, and where to go with any concerns later.  On the other hand, if she is thinking about her firend whose baby "bit her nipple off" when the first teeth erupted, she is going to be very concerned about what to do when baby gets teeth no matter how much we feel that question could wait and there are more present concerns we should address.

Winnie Mading IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2