From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:05:33 GMT
>It is my understanding that most ABM's are  "adequate" nutritionally for
a 1mo (4wo) infant....... This may be why follow-up formula is
considered  OK for 8wo babes.
Any one know what age they "target"?<

The original post about samples of follow on milk came from the UK and I think
the important difference here is that the UK Law controls what you can do in
terms of free samples and advertising directly to mothers for infant formulae,
but does not control follow-ons in the same way.  Legally follow-on milks are
only able to be advertised for use for babies over the age of 6 months.

Of course giving out company products (esp milks) which are 'allowed' to women
whose babies are of the age for the product which cannot be promoted in these
ways is essentially a way of weaseling through a loophole, or perceived loophole
(its debatable if it could be legally defended, I'd guess, but the statutory
authorities are pretty poorly clued up about this stuff) for the companies.

Remember this is a country where tins of formula DO NOT arrive on women's
doorsteps and formula samples are ILLEGAL.  So they have to do it another way.

The history of regulation of the babymilk industry is paved with multinationals'
devious intentions.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network
Area Contact, Baby Milk Action, UK