Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:01:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
Dear all:

I actually asked point blank at a Wolf and Glass conference about cereal in milk.  In my 
nutrition universe this was a big no no and there was a lot of research debunking its use.  
I can't remember which of the two responded. But I remember she did admit that there 
was no research to support the use of cereal.  There is also a good body of evidence to 
show that premature use of cereal is harmful.  Basically, it seem to me that they used it 
as a technique with very very severe cases when nothing seems to be working.

And I admit, my tiny sample size of three does not qualify for anything more than 
speculation about a small subset of babies that do better on THIN than THICk.

What is needed is much more observation of how this baby feeds on the breast and on 
the bottle.  With a careful ear (and Cathy Genna actually uses a stethescope) you can 
hear reflux.  With careful observation you can find positions that are more comfortable 
for the baby. 

The immediate response of vomiting with one substance in one position versus another 
substance in a different position, does not say anything about food allergies.  The 
allergens stay in the system for weeks. So, the distinction of vomiting with one and not 
the other sounds more like position or texture issue.  This is not to say, however, that 
you have ruled out an allergy underlying the whole situation --- merely that the vomiting 
after breastfeeding doesn't provide evidence that the baby is allergic to something in 
mom's milk and not the formula.

Finally, the most copious, across the room, arcing stream of vomit I have ever seen --- it 
stunned all the women in my breastfeeding group into silence --- weighed only 0.1 oz. 
Really it looked like the trailer for the Shrek III movie it was so copious.  Yet it weighed 
only 0.1 oz.  THe baby was a happy vomiter and mom had put the baby on the scale on 
his back, which immediately triggered the huge spew.  Since I and the other mothers 
were curious, we reweighed the baby and rechecked it twice.  ONLY 0.1 OZ.  

So, my suspicion is that the amount being brought back up is likely to be far less than it 
looks.

Best, Susan 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2