From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:33:59 -0500
>When I was being trained to work with high-risk families, this was
mentioned. We were told that every time we made a family visit we should
point out something positive in their life-style, parenting, etc. I remember
one of my sister trainees asking, "What do you do when you can't find
anything positive to say?"

When I find it hard to say something positive about a mother's parenting
style, Ilike to say something positive about her baby. Now don't shoot me,
please, but there ARE babies who are not as cute as others. That is when you
will hear me say something like "What a pretty and unusual name you gave
your baby! Is it a family name?"

Norma, who is not best known for her tact :)

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, in Big Flats, upstate NY, where the temperatures are
still in the 50s and 60s. Hello? This IS December, isn't it?