Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:16:23 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
I have not seen the explanation of HIPAA the way I was trained on it in my county:

It is to protect health information from reaching those who have no business getting it (neighbor - hearing about a case in an elevator, co-worker seeing a name on a list in a computer or a wall sign, a relative reading the chart).  AND to allow the patient to access his/her own medical information.  HOWEVER, those who are treating and BILLING have no problem exchanging information:

From the hipaa website: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

To make sure that your information is protected in a way that does not interfere with your health care, your information can be used and shared:

 For your treatment and care coordination

 To pay doctors and hospitals for your health care and help run their businesses

 With your family, relatives, friends or others you identify who are involved with your health care or your health care bills, unless

you object

 To make sure doctors give good care and nursing homes are clean and safe

 To protect the public's health, such as by reporting when the flu is in your area

 To make required reports to the police, such as reporting gunshot wounds

For this reason I was told I CAN share information with an MD and he/she with me, as we are sharing in the “treatment and care coordination”.   In the course of my “orientation” to my services I do inform the mother that the plan is to send her and her baby’s doctor a summary of our visit and plan.  I’ve never had a mom refuse this, often as there is a language issue (I speak Spanish fluently), they are relieved that I will be providing information to the MD and they don’t have to try to explain my findings to their doctor.  

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2