From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:54:46 -0500
> If a mother
>tests at a toxic level when her baby is born, do we have any responsibility
>to protect that baby?

This was in reference to a mother testing positive for cocaine, right?  I
can see the danger to the baby in her breastfeeding if she continues to use
cocaine.  But I can ALSO see the danger in expecting her to be responsible
enough to formula/bottle-feed properly if she continues to use cocaine.  Can
a mother on cocaine mix formula properly?  Can she tell when her baby needs
a bottle?  Can she be counted on to wash the bottles and nipples completely?
Can she even be counted on to put formula in the bottle?  What if she uses
cows' milk, or apple juice, or Coca-cola or fruit juice?  A cocaine-addicted
mother needs social support services whether she is bottle-feeding or
breastfeeding.  By insisting that she not breastfeed, you are eliminating
the risk of the baby getting cocaine through breast milk.  You are NOT
eliminating the risk of the baby being harmed by the mother's cocaine use.

Somebody please explain to me why one should assume that
formula/bottle-feeding is risk free in this instance????  I think I'd bet on
breastfeeding -- it is much more difficult to screw up.

Kathy Dettwyler