From:
Hilary Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 18:46:26 +0100
Last year I attended the WHO Breastfeeding, Policy and Practice course, a 4
week international course  held at the Institute of Child Health in London,
England. The majority of participants came from every corner of the world.
We all did presentations on the experience of breastfeeding in our country.
It seemed to be common theme among Muslim countries (I seem to remember
North Africa and middle east) that breastfeeding another woman's child
created a physical bond so one cant marry a person that your mother has fed.
This can cause problems where donor milk is needed as it would be like
marrying your brother/sister. It can be overcome by ensuring that the donor
and parents of recipient are known to each other, so no anonymous donations
or pooling of ebm. I may have more on CD as we received the PowerPoint of
all the presentations if you want me to look?
There is a lovely book called Feeding Our babies, Eploring traditions of
breastfeeding and infant nutrition by Priya Vincent published by Holland and
Holland 1999
Hilary Myers RM IBCLC
Somerset, England