From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:04:16 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Just underwent a modified radical
> mastectomy. She is 35 weeks pregnant. She wants to breastfeed! The surgeon
> is talking about waiting on the radiation therapy for about 6 weeks
> postpartum and no Chem at this point. The surgeon is open to the mom
> breastfeeding on the unaffected breast but is concerned about the pressure
> of the milk coming in against the post surgical breast tissue and also
> concerns about a milk fistula forming on the affected side.

HI Star,
I'm a little confused.  You write that the Mom had a mastectomy, which is the
removal of the breast, how can she breastfeed on that side or form a milk
fistula?
Did you mean that she had the lump removed and the rest of the breast is
intact?
If it is a mastectomy, all of the breast tissue should have been removed and
there will be no issue on that side and she can breastfeed on the other side.

If she had a lumpectomy, milk will come in on that side but if she does not
stimulate it (use cold packs and hand express when the breast gets full to
reduce the pressure) this side will involude and she should not be at any
more risk of mastitis or abscess formation.
Now, regarding breastfeeding on the unaffected side while receiving radiation
on the affected side, I am not sure but think it should be OK.  Hope someone
can answer that one for you.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA