From:
Sheila Company <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:01:45 +0000
To my understanding, all vaccines are safe in the the bf mum, (apart from smallpox).
  The immunisation is given intramuscularly anyhow, because it is destroyed in the recipients stomach (apart from oral live polio)
  If any virus did enter mum's milk, it too would be destroyed by the babies stomach secretions.
  Any surviving virus from an attenuated or weakened vaccine, should pose no problem to the baby who would also be receiving mum's antibodies too!

  http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/mat_immunization_bfdg.html

  scroll down to Q 10
  http://www.mmrthefacts.nhs.uk/news/newsitem.php?id=58
  http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/keyfact.php?id=31

  http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/vaccines-bf.html

>I have been asked if a mother who is pumping for a 26 wk AOG NICU baby can
>have the measle & mumps vaccine.  Mom needs this vaccine for an immigration visa.  >I've checked in Hale's MMM where the MMR vaccine is considered an 'L2'  It also >states that the virus has been found to be transferred in the breastmilk and babies may have mild symptoms.  If this baby were a full term healthy baby I would not hesitate to say OK.  But, considering this is a NICU situation....

>And, if the MMR vaccine poses a hazard to this premie, how long should she
>pump & discard?  Or, is there something that can be done to the pumped milk to >render it safe?  I don't know if mom has the option of deferring the vaccine.

Sheila Company UK
  IBCLC, Health Visitor & volunteer NCT breastfeeding counsellor