From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 08:14:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/2005 8:12:33 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

L.  Righard and others made a great video
which depicted babies with epidurals  and their lack of ability to coordinate
latch, and suck.  It was  short, and was with M. Alade, I think, but I cannot
remember the  name.

The video is indeed with Margaret Alade.  The name is something along  the
lines of "Self-Attachment".  The drug used for the women in this video  was
Demerol.  The argument has been made (to me by some HCPs who watched  the video at
my in-service) that since some epidurals do not have narcotics  then it
shouldn't affect the baby.  Maybe they are right that they don't  affect the baby
in the way shown in the video but how can one class of drugs  affect a baby so
severely and another not have "any" effect?  It doesn't  make sense to me.
Plus, most women DO get narcotics in their epidural  cocktail in the hospitals
around here.

Another reference:

Righard L, Alade MO. Effect of delivery room routines on success of first
breast-feed. Lancet 1990 Nov 3;336(8723):1105-7.

MY personal theory  with absolutely no research or scientific evidence is
this:  If women  expect the most painful event of their lives and the most
difficult work of  their lives (i.e. labor) to be painfree, how willing are they
going to be to  stick out difficulties with breastfeeding?  I realize this is a
generalization but I find many times that the women who wanted labor and
delivery to be an event where they were "in control and comfortable" have no
frame of reference to rely on when they are having problems with  breastfeeding.
If LABOR wasn't a big deal then why on earth should feeding  the baby be such
a big deal?  Just my .02.

Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX