From:
Laura Duckett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 02:19:54 CST
Hi,

Almost a year ago, in an attempt to put some of our research-based
recommendations into practice, two colleagues and I started a Nursing
Mothers Room in the School of Nursing at the U of MN.  My colleagues
are Joan Dodgson, IBCLC and PhD student in nursing, and Kitty Bell,
IBCLC and RN at the UM student health service.  They will both
introduce themselves more fully later.

The steps we took were fairly simple.  I spoke with my dean, a
family child nurse herself, and administrator to get clearance to
use a small room in our building that was suitable to our needs.
Then we submitted small grants to the U of MN Commission on Women
and the U of MN Women's Center.  Both groups funded our projects,
which included the Nursing Mothers' Room, some educational offerings,
and a newsletter.  In fact, both organizations funded us initially and
again we made a second request to each.

The nursing mothers' room has chairs, a single bed with attractive
spread and throw pillows, a matching lamp, pictures (you guessed
it - of nursing mothers and infants representing several ethnic
groups), two M_____ L______ P___ electric pumps, a small
refrigrator, a sink, and reading material.  That seems to be all
we really need.

Between the opening date (10/3/94) and 9/23/95, 34 different women
used the room a total of 1677 separate times (data from log book
women sign).  There are 14 women using the room right now, and three
more orientations scheduled.  Business is picking up since our
quarter started last week.  Women using the room include students,
staff, and faculty.

We have had absolutely no problems of any significance operating the
room.  We did have an annoying, but humerous, incident occur soon
after we opened.  A faculty member who has been at my school much
longer than me, wrote a memo to the dean complaining about the room
(who granted permission?  what about body fluids and infection? etc.,
etc., etc.).  This person knew very little about breastfeeding,
pumps, and pumping.  Additionally, she and a few others did not
really want us to have the space allocated for that purpose.  The note
reminded me of the days when some "old-timer" nurses and doctors were
sure that if dads were allowed in the delivery room, all sorts of bad
things would happen.

We will be happy to share our policies/procedures, and other materials
that we have developed with anyone who can use them.  (Please request
using my e-mail address below.)  Currently, Joan, Kitty and I are
working with a variety of people around campus who are interesting in
setting up additional rooms for women in other geographic locations
around our two large Twin Cities campuses.

You can add the University of Minnesota to the list of colleges/
universities that are finally getting more mother/baby friendly
(MBFUI?!).

Laura

          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *                 <
          *  Laura Duckett, PhD, RN       *               <<<
          *  Associate Professor          *                 |
          *  School of Nursing            *                +|+
          *  University of Minnesota      *              +  |  +
          *  6101 Health Sciences Unit F  *            +    |    +
          *  308 Harvard Street S.E.      *          +      |      +
          *  Minneapolis, MN 55455        *       +_________|________+
          *  (612) 624-9160 office        *                 |