From:
Diane Frederick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:34:24 -0400
> Itseems that as a culture we are more accepting (or should that be
>expecting) of human error than we are about a failure of a product or
>setting that we have come to believe are necessary and irreplaceable.
 We need infant death investigations with
>attention to detail and standardised reporting and definitions that
>minimise the chance they are pre-loaded with personal bias, much as we
>need breastfeeding support without a preloaded bias based on personal or
>observed experience.

I think blame is often misplaced on the most vulnerable members of society.
A parent of an infant or young child is almost as vulnerable as the child
in many ways. I agree that when no obvious/quick reason for the death of an
infant is found; the living victim, the parent, of the deceased infant is
blamed. Blaming the victim is not a new concept. Victims of family violence
have been blamed for aggravating or allowing abuse to continue.  We are
just beginning to see some changes in attitudes towards victims of family
and domestic violence. How do attitudes change? .... I'm not sure, but if
one were to follow the path of a shift in perception/attitude/blame such as
has occured towards domestic violence, maybe we could learn something from
it.
(Not trying to change the subject away from breastfeeding/co-sleeping, just
looking at other societal phenomena.)

Diane