Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:27:25 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
---- [log in to unmask] wrote: 
> Years later I was in that city visiting that hospital and my PICU friend  who 
> still worked there. We were walking down a hallway off the lobby. A lovely  
> lady and smiling rosy-cheeked young girl passed by us happily chatting 
> together,  leaning towards each other as they walked. My friend leaned in toward me to 
>  whisper - "you know who that is" ...."no" I said without a clue, my friend  
> leaned in closer to whisper "that's Twinkle." I was shocked and speechless and 
>  in awe and deeply grateful to have seen her so robust and happy.

What a beautiful story.

My children are not old enough for me to qualify, but I do remember the moment *I KNEW* why I had breasts and that I would breastfeed.  A former student was over with her two children, she was 18 and had nursed her first for about 10 months, and now was nursing her second (this baby went on to nurse about 18 months).  The baby was maybe 2 months old, and we were eating dinner and she was nursing the baby, and squirted the milk across the room, a good 10 feet, hitting the wall with a steady stream, and I just thought--wow, if they (her breasts) can do that, that  must be what they are for--nursing babies.  It was clearly an epiphany! She also let me watch, and as she had larger breasts, she would ask me to check her second child's latch--the bottom lip, in particular.  This young girl taught me a lot.  I would watch the babies while she worked at night, and they would sleep with us, or me them, as they got older.  i would thaw the breastmilk for them.  Wow, I just realized how much this young mother, a former student of mine, taught me about being a parent, and about breastfeeding.  

Joylyn Souter

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2