From:
stu and jan black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 07:46:47 -0800
Help! Along story here so I'll just get to the point. Any ideas why a Moms
nipples would be sore when NOT using SNS- okay with? Appears to nurse the
same with or without but obviously doing something different. When doesnt
use, nipple stings and is red at tip post feed.
This Mom is also unilateral feeding, large breast, nipple points down so
baby almost underneath breast, even with support (hand, rolled towel etc.).
Mom had a rough start, sore nipples at start, didnt seek help until infant
one month old. Treated for s&s nipple thrush, cleared. Again having
problems, didnt seek help for breast pain, started feeding left side only at
about 2 and a half months. I've been trying to help last 2 weeks. Got rid of
bra and pads which helped alot. Also trying to increase supply, however Mom
had also introduced formula, not wanting to use Domperidone or herbs,
bedrest etc not an option for this Mom.
She is happy with  SNS and really enjoys BFing relationship which is so
incredible with all that has gone on. She also has colitis (takes Asacol)
which is not bothering her at this time, so I think she is pretty wonderful.
Baby was a fussy baby, gaining fine with lots of wet diapers. Not always
stooling daily but substantial when passed. Now happier with SNS ( 1 oz per
feed, 9 feeds per day).
Okay, back to original question-why sore when feeds without? Can it be as
simple as "doesnt have to nurse as hard with, gets something". Mom feels
"full in the night and morning, soft in eveniing" this sounds fairly normal
to me.
Any hints, ideas for a supporting a mom/baby who may use sns long term. I
have suggested withdrawing slowly, counting diapers, weights etc. but I have
the feeling Mom will use sns long term.
Thanks from Mission, BC, where it was hard to pull myself from my bed
because my 5 year old son was so warm and cuddly.(He slips in when Daddy
slipsoff to work).
Janet Black RN, Certified BFing Counsellor.