From:
Christina Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:04:28 -0500
I called my cousin who was a daycare worker for many years here in Florida
about this. She said they feed the babies whatever they drink---regardless
of EBM or formula. She said this was anywhere from 4 to 8 oz per feeding for
breastmilk fed babies. They fed them "on demand" which was every 3 to 4
hours. She said they were not allowed to regulate how often or how much the
baby ate because that would be "denying them food." So my guess is that
every time the babies cry they MUST be hungry because that is the easiest
thing to do to fix it.

A baby nursing at the breast can be put to the breast just about everytime
they cry because of the different types of suck---some nutritive, others
non-nutritive. A baby on the bottle, regardless of what's in it, gets milk
flowing into his mouth even if they are using a slow flow nipple. I agree
with other posters in reference to the baby probably missing his mom and
trying to comfort himself. --
Christina Costa, LLLL, Broward Co., FL