From:
diane bechtel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 23:15:29 -0500
Hi Lactnetters,
        The following is my e-mail to NOW :

Subject:  Your Unsupportive Stance
I assume by now you have been inundated with e-mail in response to the
apparently knee-jerk comments by Janice Rocco in Tuesday's USA Today.
Unfortunately, your press release today is too little and too late, and
probably will be basically ignored by the media.  As a 48-year-old
feminist, Women's Studies graduate, lactation consultant in a medical
center and mother of two grown children who were breastfed for 1.8 and 2.8
years, respectively, back in the (totally unsupportive) 1970's, I certainly
expected a great deal more support from you on this subject, not the same
old tired whining about "don't make them feel more guilty."  How
patronizing to the thousands of women who are struggling to continue
breastfeeding after returning to work in a generally unsupportive
atmosphere!  It has been my observation that most women who choose not to
breastfeed usually do so for reasons that make sense to them and they feel
comfortable with their choice, thus "guilt" is not relevant.  Your
sympathies are misplaced.  Your spokesperson also apparently has no idea of
the options now available to employed women such as rental breastpumps
which are comfortable and easy to use, enabling them to provide their milk
to their babies in their absence if they so choose.  I invite you to visit
our facility's outpatient lactation center which provides ongoing support
to breastfeeding women, and speak to my co-worker whose husband brings
their 5 month old baby in to have "lunch" with mom, and our RN's who work
grueling 12 hour shifts and use our on-site employee pump to be able to
nurse their babies as long as they wish, "guilt-free."
Sincerely,
Diane E. Bechtel, BGS, IBCLC
Saint Joseph's Medical Center
South Bend, IN