From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:29:38 -0600
Hi Lactnetters,
A client of mine whose baby is now three weeks old has called for advice
because she is experiencing full breast engorgement (rock hard) on one
side only.  The other side is soft and the baby nurses from that side
well, but is now refusing the engorged side because it's so hard.  She
had a breast infection  on that side initially and I theorized that she
may have precipitated the engorgement by "favoring" that breast in her
attempts to keep it empty to treat the infection. However, after over 24
hours of beginning feedings on the other side, and limiting the
stimulation on the affected side to pumping for comfort, the engorgement
is no better. Even when she attempted full pumping, she was only able to
extract 1/2 ounce. Now I have suggested cabbage leaves on the affected
side and epsom salt or baking soda soaks.  Her OB called me to ask if I
had ever seen this phenomenon before as she hasn't. I really haven't
either. Any other suggestions? Any ideas why we're seeing such hard
engorgement on only one side?
TIA
Kris Rogers, RN,BSN,IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]