From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:48:06 -0500
Hi All!

About Lactation Assistants, I think it is a great idea for many reasons.  The
most important one, IMHO, concerns a topic we were discussing here back in
October;  Qualifications of LC's.
I think it would be wise for ALL future LC's to have a mentor with whom to
study and learn before taking the IBCLC exam.  (I realize that not every area
has an LC one can study with so this idea is for ideal situations only! )  We
all know that there are LC's out there who are less than competent, and it
causes a real problem for LC's who are competent because they get the bad
rap.
If a Lactation Assistant program could be started, nationally or privately, I
think it would be wonderful!  Just think of how much more a budding LC could
learn!  Have the LA also get a CLE is a great idea too.  The more you learn,
the more questions you ask, the more you learn, etc....
I like this idea so much that I'm going to ask my good friend Karen if she
might have a part time place for me at her store as a Lactation Assistant!  I
already do counceling for BF moms in crisis for WIC, and I have a pump rental
station (outreach station for Karen's store), and I am almost done with my
CLE homework, but hey, more knowledge and experience can certainly only help
me prepare for the IBCLC exam!  I have been told that I could already pass
the exam if I took it, (By another IBCLC friend of mine) butI think I want to
have more than 1 years experience under my belt before I take it, you know?
 I think this is where the dedication and seriousness of the person going for
IBCLC come in.  Instead of rushing to get the exam taken, take the time to do
some real learning and practice!  I want to be one of the best IBCLC's
around, but I can't get there if I rush through everything without taking the
time to really learn!  I've learned A LOT this last 8 mo (I started my
training 8 mo ago!  Seems like so much longer sometimes nad other times like
no time at all!) but I have a LONG way to go!
Sorry, I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop these fingers!
Lactation Assistants are a fabulous idea!

Jay
LC2B and soon to be CLE!!