From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:04:34 +0200
Dear Lacnetters,

I want to let off a bit off steam ("a bit" is the English art of
understatement) and have a rant.
I week or so ago, I got to look in a "kraamboek". This is a booklet where
the home-help nurse and mother keep a record of a babies progress in the
first week after his or hers birth. In the Netherlands this ("kraam")nurse
spends usually around 30 to 48 hours in the first week looking after mom and
baby during the first week (sometimes beyond when needed). Thus they enter
the number of feeds per day, babies temperature, amount of wet nappies
(sorry diapers) in this booklet. At the end of the first week the mother
gets to keep this as a sort of momento of the first week. In the booklet
there is also practicle info over caring for your newborn etc. Sounds
great - yeh?

BUT - what do you all think there is at the end of  this particular booklet
(from the "care" organisation in my area - if that's the right description).
AN ADVERTISMENT FOR ARTIFICIAL BABY MILK!!!!! It is an advertisment for
F......c (a Dutch brand) and it conforms with the Dutch law on babyfood/milk
advertiments as its for babies above 6 months. But heh - that doesn't matter
does it. Afterall NOBODY is going to associate it with artificial baby milk
for babies under 6 months are they! (And this doesn't mean that I think its
ok!).
It certainly doesn't conform with the WHO code.
I find it scandelous that a "care" organisation does this (it makes me also
wonder as to their level of competence). Talk about sleeping with the enemy.
I really believe that this organisation is "in bed" with this particular
formula company. In the baby/preschool consultation clinics the same company
also has a poster about babies development / feeding. Its called something
like - "Ten things you need to know about babies development" and has some
trashy info about the development of the immune system. Can't help think
that they use the "Ten Things" phrase because it kind of associates with the
Ten Steps from the WHO -  in my mind anyway. And all this from an
organisation who wants to get a UNICEF certificate!!! (from my source).

Ok, just before I finish my rant..... If / when I next need their services
I'm going to tell them they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. And
that will be hard, having to forgo a week of postnatal care. I also plan te
write a letter of complaint. But that will have to wait until my furry has
worn off (and that will take a while).

In the meantime - if any Dutch lacnetters have an opinion, I'd be gratefull
to hear it (you can mail privately of course).

Groetjes

Sara Bernard
BF counsellor in training, mother, biologist and really p..... off.