From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:42:01 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2006 9:29:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

_http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/parents/stor
y/data/1181.xml_
(http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/parents/story/data/1181.xml)

Dear Friends:
    I looked at this dreadful page; seems that every  question is some
negative or inaccurate slant to breastfeeding: must wake up,  peeing is a marker of
sufficient human milk intake, babies can be 'voracious',  breastfeeding can
hurt..............just awful! I can't imagine a newly pregnant  woman wanting to
breastfeeding after reading this.

"Observing  baby on the breast, there was no
swallowing after  several minutes of  suckling." from Jean Ridler.
Jean reminds us of the importance of watching a  whole feed, from start
to finish. There are plenty of places where a dyad can be  missing each
other, even while some other aspects of the feed are fine.
People may jump to conclusions at the first obvious element.  It  used to be
(and
still is for some) the fact that she was breastfeeding  that  was the cause
of her
"vaginal dryness/hair  loss/insomnia/ingrown  toenails/poison ivy".......you
name it!
In the case I cited, the mother had implants, below  her chest  muscles. I
would have expected a diminished storage capacity and very   frequent
feeding..............not intense breast pain. No one bothered to   continue the
investigation once they learned she had implants.
At least they didn't discourage breastfeeding; in  fact, they gave  her
Percocet to deal with her pain so she could continue   breastfeeding. This is
step forward for staff!
Don't you  find that it is usually more than one  thing that contributes  to
a problem when a dyad is in trouble with breastfeeding?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com