From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 18:37:47 +1000
I just wanted to say that I loved the two posts by Ruth Fidler and Norma
Ritter, titled "positioning and attachment" and "teaching latch",
respectively.  For years the over-emphasis on technique has not served some
normal mother and baby pairs well.  Encouraging self-attachment, being
"hands off", all are ideas we need to remember.  There will, of course, be
Mums and babies who need special assistance, but skin-to-skin and time, as
Ruth wrote, will help most Mums and babies get it together.  I loved how
Ruth described her journey to the wisdom she shared just now.

Norma's point about the mother's body remembering what to do if she has
modeled holding and feeding her baby during her pregnancy, is another idea
that could be used more, whether in a one-on-one prenatal consult or in a
class.

Cheers
Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, DipEd, MA, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant.
Cultural Historian working in the History of Medicine.
PhD candidate, University of Queensland, St Lucia,
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia