From:
Corrine Flatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:16:36 -0700
A dear friend and client has overcome major obstacles in breastfeeding, not
the least of which is heart issues about personal space, not sure if she
even wants the intense bonding that comes with breastfeeding, feelings about
not nursing her older child, and *intense* family pressure that nursing is
"icky".  Her plea for help is below.

We have talked about eliminating dairy, eggs, and wheat, but what more can
we do?  The formula she used for her anniversary is Similac, so is it even
possible that dairy is the culprit?  Are we on the wrong track looking at
diet first?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Corrine Flatt
providing childbirth education,
homebirth midwifery care,
and breastfeeding information and support
in Las Vegas NV

> Okay, I am at a loss.  I have been breastfeeding one month-old Erin since
> her birth.  The first two weeks were fine.  She ate, she slept, and she
was
> a happy baby.  Then, something changed.  For the last two and a half
weeks,
> she has been spending more time screaming than sleeping.  The only time
she
> is happy is when she is nursing.  I was nursing her on demand until days
ago
> when the pediatrician said our problem was that I was overfeeding her
> (despite the fact that she was born at 6 pounds 14 ounces and has gained a
> little over a pound to get to an even 8 pounds in a month).  He said to
feed
> her only on one side for no more than 10-15 minutes each time every 2-3
> hours.  So I did.  When she wasn't eating, she was screaming still.
>
> Well, then my husband and I did the unthinkable.  We went last night for
our
> anniversary to a hotel and left the kids with my parents for the night.
> Since I didn't have enough milk pumped, they gave Erin 3 or 4 bottles of
> formula.  She screamed for nearly 2 hours after the last time I nursed her
> before we left for the evening.  My parents said they were about ready to
> call us to tell us to come home.  Then, they gave her formula for her next

> feeding.  After she ate, she was happy and had no problems.  She slept for
> nearly 4 hours, got up and ate again, and slept nearly another 4 hours.
She