From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:18:31 -0800
In regard to the baby with "breastmilk rash":
Skin atopic disorders are MORE common in artificially
fed infants.  Why use boiling water to treat a burn?!
This strategy makes no sense to me.

I would proceed with a closer assessment of this baby
and the "rash".  The mother states it is "severe".  To
me, a severe rash is open, oozing, flaming red, and
would take DAYS to heal.  It would not go away between
feeds.  Has a HCP, other than the ped, actually *seen*
this rash?

I am not trying to discount the mother's concern!  By
personal experience, some parents just aren't familiar
with the *normals* of babies.  It is still hard for me
to think of a mom who, on ped's advice, was giving her
young infant (under 6 months old) Pedialyte at least a
couple times a month for "diarrhea", which was
actually just the usual, loose breastmilk stools.  The
fact that the baby's stools were not formed alarmed
the mom; she just didn't know what was normal.

I think taking baby OFF all artificial infant milks,
and taking a good look at topical irritants, used by
*both mom and baby* (soaps, detergents, lotions,
perfumes...) is also needed in this case.  One of the
WORST baby rashes I have ever seen was due to baby
clothes being washed in Tide detergent.  If a week or
so of this does not improve this rash, dietary
modifications for mom would be a wise choice.

With due respect to the ped, I think the hoofbeats she
hears are horses, not zebras...
Just my opinions,
Carole