From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:25:47 EDT
Dear friends,

Have just come home after a day trip up to London.  My dh and I went into
Fortnum and Mason in the morning, obstensibly looking for Worstershire Sauce
that had a bit more oomph that the Lee & Perrins one - my father complained
the other day that the L & P W sauce does not taste so good as it used to in
years gone by . . .Then I thought I would have a bit of a wander on my own
through the clothing section and finally ended up in the Ladies' Powder Room
(F & M's name), very pleasant it was too, plenty of room in the wash and
makeup area with comfortable chairs dotted about the room.  As I was drying my
hands a mother came into the room to breastfeed her baby.  Of course I was not
slow to engage in conversation, told her how lovely it was to see her feeding
her baby, congratulated her but that it was an awful pity that so many women
end up feeding in the ladies' loo.  She agreed, but we decided that this was a
cut above most loos and did deserve the name Ladies' Powder Room. Where she
was sitting was beautifully furnished, soft carpeting, soft lighting, quite a
refuge really.

Did battle in Harrods in the afternoon, apart from visiting all the
departments ended up in the book section.  Bought myself the new revised
edition of Sheila Kitzinger's 'Breastfeeding - How to give your baby the best
start in life' and noted that Yalom's (sp?) (mine's out on loan at the moment)
book on the history of the breast was in amongst the Sex books - so got an
assistant to put them in the women's section, made sure she understood why
they should never ever be on that shelf (she was v obliging).  Soooo, I've had
a good day -  tried on a range of sumptuously beautiful raw silk embroidered
nehru collared long jackets in Piccadilly Arcade (Jermyn Street end) and
imagined myself wearing them for some fabulous occasion that may come my way
one day.  Dreams, dreams.
Foot-weary Helen back in Storrington UK