From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:06:45 +0800
>>2. Between feeds, some low-fat milk ('foremilk') gradually moves down to
>>fill the sinuses.
>
>I thought the foremilk was formed by fluid from the surrounding
>breast tissue seeping into the sinuses, thereby diluting the milk
>left behind in the sinuses after a feed.  This would explain why the
>longer between feeds, the more foremilk there is.  Therefore breast
>compression would move milk from the alveoli into the sinuses, which
>would increase the fat ratio in the sinuses.

Jennifer, do you mean that the fluid passes through the duct walls to
dilute the milk in the sinuses? This is an interesting concept. What do
others think about this? I just assumed that the milk flows down the ducts
from the alveoli, minus most of the fat which stays adhered to the alveoli
walls, until ejected by the let-down reflex.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]