From:
"Kathleen Bruce by way of [log in to unmask] Kathleen Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:56:54 -0500
Date:    Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:31:34 -0400
From:    "Rebecca Black, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Zoloft

You will probably be beseiged by entries on Zoloft as we are all back from
ILCA with our latest addition of Thomas Hale's book, Medications and Mother's
Milk.  Here is what he says:

"No specific information is currently available.  Some is probably secreted
in milk.  The long half-life (26-65 hours!) of this medication could produce
elevated levels in neonates. Use extreme caution with this medication during
lactation.  Observe for diarrhea, nausea, tremor and increased sweating."

Zoloft (Sertaline) is not mentioned (that I could find) in the AAP reference,
Pediatrics  1994-93(1):137-50.  Other antidepressants are on the "Drugs whose
effect on nursing infants is unknown but may be of concern"  list.  At the
top of this list is a disclaimer to the effect of "concern especially if
given to the mom for a long period of time."  There have been no reports of
adverse effects in breastfeeding infants for the anti-depressants though but
they do appear in the milk.

Hello?  any pharmacists/LC/MD's out there to help on this one as we have a
similar situation here and have left it up to the MD to decide.

Becca
clueless as to a catchy nickname