Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:34:21 +0200
,Pat said:
<Very few "baby doctors" and almost *no* hospital employees that mothers see
believe that formula is harmful enough to worry about. >

And those of us who do believe that it is harmful are regularly called "
fanatics."

AS for mothers holding their babies as opposed to carrying them in all sorts
of contraptions designed to keep the baby as far away from human touch as
possible;  I had a mom come into the breastfeeding class this morning in
tears. A nurse had yelled at her for carrying the baby in her arms instead
of rolling him around in those awful plastic boxes on wheels. ( I have a
rule in the breastfeeding room: all babies in mothers' arms, and NO plastic
boxes, unless they are twins, and the mom does not have extra help at that
moment. ) Later I asked the nurse about this. She said that once many years
ago a mother fainted with the baby in her arms, therefore all babies have to
be in the bassinette.    I said that this may give mothers the idea that
they are incompetent to care for their own babies when they go home a day
and a half after the birth.  New mothers have enough anxiety as it
is......now we have to make them feel that they cannot carry their own
babies??  NO wonder they all carry them in those horrid plastic buckets, and
other similar vehicles.

I once knew a baby who was injured in a car accident even in her car seat.
Maybe babies should not be allowed to travel in cars either!!

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel