From:
Mark & Nancy Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:26:33 EST
I do not know the official guidelines about scheduled inductions.  But since
this was brought up, and there has been a continued discussion of birth
stories, I thought I would respond.  My second child was a scheduled
induction, because he was in a frank breech position.  I was induced three
days before my due date (I had my choice of any day that week).  My Ob told
me that I was in a unique position of being able to schedule either an
induction or a c-section, since we knew my baby was breech.  Anyway, I chose
Thursday, October 27, 1994.  My Ob told me that I had a 50/50 chance of
being able to deliver my baby vaginally.  To my advantage were a previous
vaginal delivery of a 8 lb 6 oz baby girl, and the fact that the frank
position is the "easiest" to deliver vaginally.  The induction began at
10:15 am, I had an epidural at 3 pm, and Brian was born bottom first at 6:25
pm, weighing 8 lbs 7 oz.  I would have liked a medication free delivery, but
the breech complicated things.  I am proud that I was able to deliver him
vaginally.  When I tell people about Brian's birth, most assume I had a
c-section.  When I tell them the whole story, most are surprised and a few
might even think I am crazy.  Anyway, I had a scheduled induction due to a
breech baby.  Are there other situations where a scheduled induction would
be an option?

Nancy Kelly
Breastfeeding Counselor