From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 22:26:23 -0400
It is my humble opinion that Dr. William Sears' books on parenting are very
worthwhile books to recommend to new parents, espcially those who are
breastfeeding. Dr. Sears treats children with respect and empathy, and
teaches parents to recognize needs..and to meet those needs. In my
opinion,..by parenting children as children make their needs clear to us, we
meet the need as it arises.  By extinguishing nighttime requests for
help/comfort/love/attention/nursing.....we send a message that nighttime is
not a time to ask for such help/comfort/etc.

When my children are 16, I want them to have learned that at night, as well
as during the day, I listen and respond to their needs. If they are stuck
somewhere without a safe ride, etc..I want to answer that call....

I agree. Parenting is difficult and tiring job. For me, personally, Dr.
Sears' info and suggestions gave me the encouragement to be the kind of
parent I never had.  I never could bear to let my kids scream although I was
so tired some times that I was tempted.

No flames please...Lactnet is not the place for flame wars...but this is my
humble opinion.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader (7 yrs),
Co-Owner Lactnet,  E-Mail = [log in to unmask]
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html