Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:01:07 +0000
The Onion satirising the 'need' for baies to have in utero entertainment
leading to babies who don't need their mothers....well, the best satire is
always close to reality.

Thursday's Daily Mail (UK middle market tabloid) carried a one-page story
about a two-year-old who spends 10 hours a day playing with violent video
games. It has done wonders for his hand-eye co-ordination, said his proud
mother. When she see other two-year-olds clinging to their mothers she
realises how lucky she is as her baby just needs to be sat in front of a TV
screen with his games console and he's fine...so independent.  The parents
contacted the press because they are proud of his skill and they want to
seek sponsorship for him. One of the two photos showed the baby with a
bottle (of juice) hanging from his mouth, stating that feed times don't
interrupt his gaming.  Excuse lack of direct quotes - I can't find the
cutting to quote from (it's somewhere here.....drat).

The newspaper got a few quotes from professionals who disparaged this...one
said they thought two hours a day (!) should be the maximum allowed.

This is, I suspect, bf-related. I would like to bet this poor mother did
not breastfeed happily if at all. The relationship that develops with happy
bf would be unlikely to lead to this unhappy scenario, surely.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK