From:
Nancy Paronich Rnc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:48:01 EST
Hello Lactneters,
       Last week reading about "CATS" on Lactnet brought back warn memories
of my Daughter and her family cats.

Would like to share that story about those family cats.  Two years ago they
brought home a lovely kitten from the local pound. "Matilda" is the kind of
cat every Nana would love her nine year old granddaughter to have, sweet,
gentle and loved everyone.  She was spade at the appropriate age never having
any kittens of her own.  When Matty was a year old the family decided to
bring home an 8 week old kitten which they named Zachary. Zach was a very
energetic kitten who could jump higher then his new "sister" and liked his
new home very much.  My Daughter is an RN who works on a telemetry unit in
the community hospital where I work.  Three weeks after Zach's arrival my
daughter called me very upset. It seems that Zach was nursing poor Matty at
least 20 times a day (which Matty seemed to enjoy but her poor nipples were
bleeding). They finally healed on their own even with Zach still nursing
until he was about a year old.  They Matty started bating him with her paws.
Even now Zach will try and sneak up on his surrogate mother when she snoozes
in the sun, but he gets a pat to the side of his head when SHE says no.

Nancy Paronich RNC BSN IBCLC
Coordinator  The Lactation Center
Jordan Hospital, Plymouth Ma