From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:40:05 -0600
Jennifer, when you hear  women say things like, "There is no possible way I
could do that", are you speaking to them as their physician?  If so, it
seems to me that you are someone they respect and trust.  You may have the
opportunity to open up a dialogue with them.  If someone were to say to me
that they were repulsed by breastfeeding or they couldn't bear the thought
of it, I would simply say to them, "Why do you say that?" while trying to
use a nonjudgmental, nonthreatening tone.  You may find that they are able
to articulate their reasons, or maybe not.  You may have to spend extra time
with them.  If you are able to speak to them as a physician who has the
experience of having breastfed your children, that is a great opportunity to
be a role model for them.  You may want to have a list of books or pamphlets
to provide to them. LLLI has some excellent tear-off sheets and pamphlets.
There are also a variety of basic books about breastfeeding.  One I have
given to women who are not sold on the idea of breastfeeding is "So That's
What They're For."

But beginning the dialogue with these women, asking them directly about
their reasons, may be the best way to reach them.  Perhaps they WANT you to
do that.

Sara Furr, MA, LLLL
Lincoln, NE

PS  Congratulations on the newly-expected baby #4!