From:
Jannette Festival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 02:08:30 -0400
I'm running out of options! I have a mom who has not BF her twins for 2 weeks due to too many visitors, babies getting their first bottle in NICU (1 hr old). She has called me and asked for help. When mom puts babies to the breast they gag and push her nipple out (mom also lets the babies use soothers). She is bottle feeding breast milk (yeah!). Mom and Dad are doing lots and lots of skin-to-skin, finger feeding (with a finger tube) to help baby get used to having to work for their food. Now they are being fed in an upright position with the bottle parallel to the floor-pulling bottle out of their mouths after 10-12 sucks to slow the overall pace of getting fed. Our next plan is to try and feed while having a bath...then what? Mom is doing all the right things to get babies to latch, but it's almost like they don't get it and just want the original bottle back. It's like the old saying...You can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink it! I'm at a loss for the next step. Has anyone else run into this before. Having 2 babies will be difficult ...dad is going back to work in a few days so mom will be on her own. BF at the breast would be so easy...if they only would!