From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 00:53:45 -0500
Hi,
I work for WIC here in Sacramento, as a PC for our crisis BF moms who have
WIC pumps on loan.  I think the problem is not so much that WIC is BF un
friendly, but that BF is an inconvenience.  Let me explain...
At our WIC office, our folks are swamped.  We have a large population here.
 They have enough to do with classes, paperwork, vouchers and appointments.
 When we start asking the workers in our office to do more with the BF moms
(ie., refer to an LC, hand out pumps, clean pumps, call me when a pump goes
out, etc.) they get very irritated.  It's one more thing they don't have time
to do.   Plus, half of the staff has English as their second language and
they don't understand what we are talking about.  We have a hard time getting
them to understand the difference between Lactinas and Nurture 3s.   To our
staff, promoting BF means more work.  Plain and simple.  And since they don't
have time for more work, they balk at doing the things we ask them to do to
increase the BF rates.  So we end up fighting a losing battle it seems.
But we are doing the best we can.  If the Govt would make things a little
easier on the staff as far as BF goes, then it would help.  A big help would
be an increase in the BF budget.  That would allow for more staff to help
with BF moms and BF promotion.  Then the current staff wouldn't be so
resentful of the extra work that BF promotion creates.
I think that the Govt needs to step in and help WIC with BF promotion.
 Unfortunately, since the Govt gets it ABM at cheapo prices and the ABM
companies are big business, I don't think it's likely that the Govt will
start promoting BF and reducing the amount of ABM it buys any time soon.
Sad, very sad...
Jay
CLE, WIC PC

PS  I agree that a great idea would be for LC's to donate some time (if
possible) to WIC for consultations, if there is no WIC LC in that office.
 However, then we get into a dilemma of how can we establish the importance
of having a paid LC, preferrably 2-3 in large offices, if LC's are always
donating?  It is a very frustrating situation.