ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Blair Clarkson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:12:32 -0400

Hi Amy,

One in-expensive and flexible option you may wish to look at is the Scribbler robot made and distributed by Parallax.

The best things about this robot are its durability and its very user-friendly graphic user interface (GUI) that allows anyone with no programming language experience to control the robot and program it for specific movements, lights, sounds-music and to eventually respond to its environment using its IR and light sensors.

Some helpful links are:
Scribbler robot info:
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/455/Default.aspx

Scribbler robot & software downloads, GUI:
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/458/Default.aspx

Robot Magazine Article-Link on building a self-charging dock for a Scribbler
http://www.botmag.com/articles/scribbler.shtml

We have also had great success with these robots/interface in our robotics workshops for families, view at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hpq5UHwNmE&feature=channel_page

More info on the Ontario Science Centre's Robotics Theme and video summaries of several of our robotics programs are on our YouTube channel "therobotchannel" at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=therobotchannel&view=videos

I hope this info is helpful.
Best Regards,

Blair Clarkson
Coordinator Special Events & Attractions
Visitor Experience Branch, Ontario Science Centre
770 Don Mills Rd, Toronto, Ont, Canada M3C 1T3
Ph:(416) 696-3195,    Cel:(416) 676-9427
email: [log in to unmask]

Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken their curiosity and they feed their minds for a lifetime.

"Imagination  is  more  important  than  knowledge."  Albert  Einstein.
"The  man  who  has  no  imagination  has  no  wings."  Muhammad  Ali.
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain