ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Apryl Brinkley)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:55:15 -0800

Hello -

I am the Manager of the Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center,
which is a partnership program run by the Pacific Science Center in
Seattle, WA with the nearby city of Bellevue.

I am interested in presenting at the 2008 ASTC conference on the topic
of public policy and issues related to concerns of the environment.  The
EEAW (Environmental Education Association of WA) is in the midst of
creating a state-wide EE plan to be presented to the Governor in May
2008.  It has been a very dynamic process that has included a
wide-variety of partners throughout the state - zoos, aquariums,
botanical gardens, business owners, science centers, media and teachers
to help form this plan and help define what the needs are.  The
initiative is designed to optimize environmental education for everyone
in WA state by linking and leveraging current resources and gaining
increased commitment and funding to ensure success from both private and
public entities.

It would be great to be able to present a panel discussion on the
substantial roles our institutions can take in helping cities and states
develop education programs and plans to create a more environmentally
literate community.

I am curious to learn what other states are doing and whether there are
similar processes occurring regarding environmental education or nature
awareness, etc nation-wide.  Is your center or department playing a
large role in forming EE policy in your city or state? What are some
best practices models for other institutions about public policy
initiatives, especially in regards to environmental science issues?

If this is of interest to you, please feel free to email or call me. I
look forward to investigating this highly relevant issue with others!

Thanks for your time.

Apryl Brinkley
Site Manager
425/450-0207

Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center
A partnership of the Pacific Science Center and Bellevue Parks and
Community Services