ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:29:24 +1100

Eric,

A very nice use of the space, and great opportunities for play and
discovery.

One of the first exhibits we worked up for the "new Questacon" 21 years
back was similar, 3 frames each about 6 foot wide by 8 high, typically
used for coloured shadows. We used white Lycra ( American=spandex), and
this allowed people to push and distort the screen as well as use it as
a double sided projection surface. The stretched lycra was very
forgiving ( we had spares made by never needed them in 5 year), easy to
fold up and store.
What you've got seems to fit your bill, but an option might have been no
frames but some in floor anchor points and stretch the screen.. Think
sails.

Some other possible uses

Using red green, or red/blue lights from your colour mixing, and project
3d shadows ( viewed with appropriate glasses). Also a range of
illusions/perception exhibits such as a necker cube ( open wire frame,
suspended from the ceiling, and see which way the shadow seems to
rotate.

Your screen material probably de-polarises light, most do ( but worth
checking - you can get rear projection screen fabric that doesn't
de-polarise) so you could do a pulfric universe of 3d shadows.

Keep the good simple ones coming.

Cheers
Stuart Kohlhagen
Manager Research and Development
Questacon
The National Science and technology Centre Canberra Australia