ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:40:56 +1000

A number of years back, when I was doing a range of these sorts of
demos, I found a very nice alternative (extension) to the drop bouncing
balls into LN2.

If you start with a table tennis/superball sized ball of silly putty.
Make it as round as possible.
Drop it gently into the LN2 ( not suspended on a loop, as the ball will
flatten before it cools).

After it has got nicely cold, take it out. Drop it on a very hard
surface ( solid table, concrete paving slab), from about a foot or 2.
Initially it will sound and behave like a small stone ( i.e. it sounds
brittle, and bounces like a stone) Keep picking it up and dropping it in
quick sucsession. Depending on how cold you got the ball, after about 30
sec/ 1 min  you'll drop the ball, and it will land, make no sound, and
sit on the concrete ( no bounce at all). It will do this for a few
drops. After that it will start to regain its usual silly putty bounce.

What is happening is as it thaws a little, a thin SKIN of
warmer/flexible silly putty will cover a ball of still solid inflexible
silly putty. When it lands, the thin layer is pinched between the core
and the deck. This creates enourmous stress, sufficient for the thin
skin to move, absorbing the energy. As it warms further the flexible
skin gets thick enough, so the stress is reduced to the point where it
can flex elastically, and provide a bounce.

Not necessarily a demo ( or explaination) for the under 5's but A nice
extension for some of the older audiences.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Kohlhagen
Manager Research and Development
Questacon
The National Science and Technology Centre.