ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:56:04 -0400

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/12931234.htm

Museums dare to promote the `E word'

BY LISA ANDERSON

Chicago Tribune

NEW YORK - (KRT) - Natural history museums around the country are mounting
new exhibits they hope will succeed where high school biology classes have
faltered: convincing Americans that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is
a rigorously tested cornerstone of modern science.

At Chicago's Field Museum, curators call their upcoming effort "Evolving
Planet." The University of Nebraska State Museum in Lincoln calls its
program "Explore Evolution." And here at the American Museum of Natural
History, the exhibit that opens next month is called simply "Darwin."

Numerous battles in school districts around the country and a landmark
federal case unfolding in Pennsylvania, however, make one point clear: When
Darwin's widely accepted explanation of human development collides with
widely held religious belief about mankind's divine origins, nothing is
simple.

Even the word "evolution" is charged. Some religions, including Catholicism,
consider evolution essentially compatible with religious belief. But many
people consider it hostile to faith because it posits that all life on
Earth - including humans - shares common ancestry and developed through the
mechanisms of random mutation and natural selection over some 4 billion
years.

In a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released last week, 53 percent of adults
surveyed said "God created humans in their present form exactly the way the
Bible describes it." Thirty-one percent said humans evolved from other
species with God's guidance and 12 percent said humans evolved without
divine intervention. Although Gallup specified the Bible for the first time
in this poll, the results closely paralleled those in polls taken over the
last 20 years, in which nearly half of all Americans consistently agreed
that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time
within the last 10,000 years or so."

"In the past, we took the word `evolution' out of our exhibits and said
`change through time.' We did that because we didn't want to incite
anything," said Ellen Censky, professor of zoology and director of the Sam
Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History at the University of Oklahoma in
Norman.

"But I think we have to use that word and say this is what science tells us.
If they're not teaching it in schools and we're not doing it, where are they
going to get it?" asked Censky.

The Oklahoma museum is one of six Midwestern, university-affiliated
institutions installing permanent exhibits of "Explore Evolution" under a
$2.8 million grant from the National Science Foundation. Accompanied by a
Web site and curriculum material for science teachers, the exhibit focuses
on seven current research projects that apply evolutionary theory in ways
that affect daily life, from the study of the evolution of HIV/AIDS to
genetic ties between humans and chimpanzees.

"I don't think most scientists consider it a huge part of their job to try
to help the public understand scientific issues," said Judy Diamond,
professor and curator of the Nebraska state museum. Diamond developed the
"Explore Evolution" project that also is being used by museums in Minnesota,
Kansas, Texas and Michigan.

"I think everyone is realizing that we need to be doing a great deal more.
We just haven't made the effort to communicate evolution to people in terms
they can understand. Evolution is exciting," Diamond said.

Evolution does get people excited, but not always because of the thrill of
scientific discovery. In Kansas, fistfights have all but broken out over the
state school board's imminent decision to expand the definition of science
to include the supernatural. In Dover, Pa., pro-evolution teachers say they
have been denounced as "atheists" and worse on the streets of their once
tight-knit little town. And in Chicago, when the Field Museum presented an
exhibit on human evolution in 2000, a letter arrived "from North Carolina -
one page, single spaced, very tightly reasoned - and the last line was `as a
result, you will burn in hell,'" said John McCarter Jr., the museum's
president and chief executive officer.

Natural history museums must address the lack of public understanding of
evolution as part of their public and scientific purpose, said McCarter,
sporting a purple tie printed with dinosaurs. As he put it: "If we don't,
who else will?"

Increasingly, evolution has become a sensitive subject, gingerly treated by
high school science educators. According to a March survey by the National
Science Teachers Association, 31 percent of teachers said they felt
pressured by parents and students, not administrators, "to include
creationism, intelligent design, or other non-scientific alternatives to
evolution in their science classrooms." And 30 percent said they felt
"pushed to de-emphasize or omit evolution or evolution-related topics from
their curriculum."

The majority of scientists deny there is any credible challenge to
evolution. They emphasize that scientific theory is not a wild guess, but a
hypothesis subjected to careful testing and observation over time. They
point to a thoroughly documented geological and radiometric dating of the
Earth's age and to almost daily developments in genetics and molecular and
cell biology that affirm aspects of Darwin's 1859 "The Origin of Species."
But the strength of longstanding religious belief about the divine origins
of man, in a country where more than a quarter of the citizens self-identify
as evangelical Christians, is considerable.

"One of the big misunderstandings, I think, is that a lot of people have
stopped realizing that science is a secular activity," said Lance Grande,
vice president and head of collections and research at the Field Museum.
Field's $17 million, 20,000-square foot, "Evolving Planet" exhibit is slated
to open on March 10, 2006.

Rarely seen elsewhere in the developed world, this conflation of science and
religion is marked in the United States, where polls consistently show that
more than half of all Americans believe that both evolution and creationism
should be taught in public school science classes.

Some partly attribute this to the fact that evolution didn't figure
prominently in American textbooks until after Russia's 1957 launch of
Sputnik, the world's first artificial satellite, a feat that shockingly
exposed America's scientific vulnerability and prompted massive funding of
scientific education and research.

However, a Gallup survey of American teenagers in March indicated that 43
percent believe God guided human evolution over millions of years, 38
percent subscribe to creationism and 18 percent believe that humans evolved
with no help from God.

Such strong religious beliefs about human origins recently made headlines
when President Bush, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., and Sen.
John McCain, R-Ariz., publicly supported the teaching of both evolution and
intelligent design, which posits that some complexities of life, yet
unexplained by evolution, are best attributed to an unnamed and unseen
intelligent designer.

Sometimes derided as "creationism lite," intelligent design is on trial in
the federal case Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District in Harrisburg.
Parents of Dover students sued the district and school board over a
requirement that 9th grade biology students be informed of intelligent
design as a scientific alternative to evolution. Such a requirement, the
parents contend, is religiously motivated, thus violating the constitutional
separation of church and state, and breaches the Supreme Court's ban on
teaching creationism in public schools.

Attorneys for the school insist that intelligent design, or ID, is a
scientific theory, but expert witnesses for the plaintiffs agreed with
scientists such as Field's Grande, saying that a theory that cannot be
observed or tested is not science.

"We look at things. This is a specimen-based research institution. So,
probably more than any other institution, we're invested in evolutionary
studies," Grande said. "There are plenty of other venues in the world for
people who want to come up with divine explanations. But that's not our job,
that's not what we do. And there are fewer and fewer places that do what we
do today."

And compared with students in countries such as China and India, there are
fewer and fewer Americans going into the sciences, mathematics and
engineering, said McCarter. "Our kids are getting turned off by science in
very large numbers."

In such large numbers, in fact, that the National Academies, America's top
science advisers, issued a report last week warning the nation to sharpen
its scientific competitive edge before it's too late. Urging an annual $10
billion investment in scientific research and education, the report said,
"in a world where advanced knowledge is widespread and low-cost labor
readily available, U.S. advantages in the marketplace and in science and
technology have begun to erode."

Said Robert Gropp, director of public policy at the American Institute of
Biological Sciences, "I think every business leader that wants to be
competitive in the coming years should be quite concerned about this ID
movement."

"In many ways, I blame science itself in that we have done a terrible job of
explaining what science is," said Leonard Krishtalka, director of the Kansas
Museum and Biodiversity Research Center at the University of Kansas in
Lawrence.

"I would imagine to non-scientists a lot of science and technology sounds
like so much magic," he said. "Is it any surprise that so many people are
choosing one kind of magic over another kind of magic?"

In an effort to deepen visitors' understanding of evolution, the Field
Museum has designed "Evolving Planet" to showcase dinosaurs without allowing
them to overshadow everything else. In past evolution exhibits, McCarter
said, people "whipped through the origin of life, and everything before the
dinosaurs, to go look at the dinosaurs. And by the time they got done
looking at the dinosaurs, they were so tired that they whipped out."

This time, he said, "we're using the dinosaurs as kind of the marquee to
draw them in and saying, this is a very complicated story, which you've got
to dig into over a long period of time."