ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:32:39 -0400

Hiya,

I'm looking for some easy and short craft ideas to use in an educational
setting and which promote science and critical thinking but are also great
fun to do.

For instance, I found a link for star clocks here:
www.lhs.berkeley.edu/StarClock/starclockprintout.html

It's sad, but so many of the items we used to make from common household
materials, are now ready made and sold without the children needing to add
anything. Like rock collections.. you can go out and buy one and miss such
great opportunities for exploration (and no doubt greater understanding.)

I had heard somewhere that there is an easy recipe for making telescopes out
of craft supplies.

We're going to be dabbling into pseudoscience and paranormal claims as
well.. for instance, one activity is to create a flying saucer out of
aluminum foil and other bits & pieces and then take photos to show how
"photos can be fakes" and resemble many of those currently touted as the
real thing. I was also thinking of getting some big plumbing pipes of
different shapes and trying to create a sea serpent, with the kids begin
able to decorate it as they like.

Anyone who may have suggestions or resources for any of the above, please
let me know and thank you in advance.

Best,
Amanda

***
Amanda Chesworth, Educational Director
Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal
www.csicop.org
Inquiring Minds Program
www.inquiringminds.org
Skeptical Inquirer Magazine