HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 06:52:25 -0500
Old genre paintings and other artworks are a time-tested source for data in
historical archaeology. About 25 years ago, I made a stab at simplifying
the process.

There is (or was) an outfit called University Prints, then based in
Cambridge, Mass., that sold color prints of artworks. A teacher could
assemble a set of prints, and University Prints would make up custom
"textbooks" for classroom use. I understand the firm moved out of their
Cambridge garret, and I have lost track of them. About 1972, I went through
their collection and put together a deck of prints that contained
significant works of archaeological interest. Maybe they still have my
notes, but there were about 75 seventeenth and eighteenth century paintings
in the group that directly related to historical archaeology.

If they are still in business, we could probably get them to sell sets of
prints for historical archaeologists.

| 69 Land Rover    Ned Heite                             |
|                  Camden, Delaware 19934                |
|  0 to 60         http://www.dmv.com/~iceland           |
|  eventually      http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html|