HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 04:12:36 -0400
You enter murky waters when contracting with clients who insist on
controlling your field notes, photos, and maps of resources either on their land  or on
jobs they are paying. I always have a clause in my contracts that state I
must turn-in a report to the information center within 30-days of completion of
the report. Should some client wish to strike the clause, I would refuse to
work  for him. Moreover, I consider the field products to be public property to
be  cared for by the information center. I did receive a telephone call from
a lad  at the local Sempra Energy Company demanding copies of all field notes
from a  job I did more than 30-years ago, but I simply told him to pound sand.
Here are  my personal priorities: (1) The resource, which I consider my
primary client; (2) The agency who caused the work to be conducted; (3) The
profession (RPA, ACRA, etc.); (4) The paying client, as long as it does not
conflict with the RPA standards and I retain the field notes etc. I know, some  of
you consider it amusing that I speak for the archaeology/history sites, but
that is just how I am.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.