HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:22:34 -0400
But is "site locational data" the work-site location? Where a proposed
development might be or where impacts in planned improvements to a
current landscape are located? Not really, so why not make that
information available in summary or supervised release after the fact
of the investigation.

What for example, to stay within my experience, do you do when only
half of your winter crew, in Tyvek, won't sign the "lunch agreement"
passed around which states you will not speak about the planned
process of cleanup on a site for ten years without consulting with the
client? They weren't fired. It's almost ludicrous if you look at the
stacks of previous news, local and national, that proceeded that
particular site's archaeology, i.e., the public's awareness of it.

Similarly, tarps placed up on a chain link fence so the public can't
look into burials being delineated in NYC City Hall Park, where anyone
above the 2nd story could look right in, is a little odd though
perhaps necessary. There, former "site locations" are now delineated
out on the ground with large stone plaza, a different stone color
(darker) shows where the previous structures are thought to be. As
part of a family that was here in NYC, for example, from before the
American Revolution (not a member of DAR or SOL) I think we have a
right to know how ancestors are disturbed and recorded and what
scientific reports are generated, not clandestinely performed from a
few states away and never seen again anywhere. After all perhaps that
was the intent of those that created the interred.

I've only signed one so called confidentiality agreement to my
knowledge, perhaps this is a good place to discuss it. Are all
employees covered by it? I've had that intimated to me and gone on to
hear people explain what they're doing to total strangers, despite the
crew in the interest of gathering information perhaps.

If those are the agreed upon business procedures with the client, are
we all in the name of a deity, all part of the business "plot"?

George Myers